13 Mar 2020
Corona Virus - Advice Notice
Covid-19 Advice Notice to Clients, Trustees, Staff and Volunteers
We are issuing this Advice Notice to inform clients, trustees, staff and volunteers of the steps that the charity, clients, trustees, staff and volunteers may need to take as the number of cases of Covid-19 (coronavirus) increases over the coming weeks.
This advice is temporary and will be updated in line with future Government and Public Health England advice.
The actions we will all need to take are listed below in three possible stages:
Stage 1 (the current situation)
Clients, relatives, trustees, staff, and volunteers should:
- Observe strict hand washing/hand gelling practices after social contact and when entering and leaving the premises, as indicated on the posters near the hand gel dispensers
- Ensure visitors also follow hand washing/hand gelling advice
- Wash or gel hands regularly
- Cover mouths when coughing or sneezing preferably with a tissue, throw it away and then follow the hand hygiene advice above
- Try and only touch your face following the hand hygiene advice above
- Avoid contact with anyone who reports feeling unwell
- Continue to meet with clients both inside the building and in the community unless they are exhibiting symptoms suggestive of Covid-19 infection (e.g. temperature, cough, difficulties breathing and headache)
- If you develop symptoms suggestive of Covid-19 infection, contact NHS 111 for advice and also inform your line manager by ‘phone. Do not visit neighbours, relatives or the GP surgery
- If you have been in contact with anyone in the past 2-3 days who is now diagnosed with Covid-19 you should isolate yourself in your own home, avoid contact with any clients and inform your line manager by ‘phone. Contact NHS 111 and follow the advice that will be given
- Consider buying a digital thermometer
Stage 2 (If Government advice is issued that older people should not mix with the rest of the population)
Clients, trustees, staff and volunteers should:
- Continue to observe hand washing/hand gelling advice as above
- Continue to meet with clients under 70 as normal, after following hand washing/hand gelling advice, but contact clients over 70 regularly by telephone encouraging them to self-isolate as far as possible
- Encourage clients over 70 to a range for shopping to be delivered by friends/relatives/supermarket delivery
- Encourage clients over 70 to consider limiting the numbers of visitors they have
- Report symptoms promptly as above contacting NHS 111 and line managers by ’phone
Stage 3 (if a client, staff member or volunteer is diagnosed with coronavirus infection)
All Clients, members of staff and volunteers should:
- Report symptoms promptly as above and follow the advice that will be issued by NHS 111 and Public Health England
- Remain in their home
- Not have any visitors
- Arrange for shopping to be left at their door by friends, relatives or supermarket delivery
At all of the stages described above staff will endeavour to keep in regular telephone contact with all clients.
Should the staff and volunteers become ill, the charity will ensure that telephone contact with clients is maintained by other available members of staff.
As the information and advice given by the Government and Public Health England evolves, clients, trustees, staff and volunteers will receive updated Advice Notices.